Last Updated: May 2018
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
As used herein, the term "personal information" means information that specifically identifies an individual (such as a name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, or credit card number), or information about that individual that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. Personal information does not include "aggregate" information, which is data we collect about the use of the Site or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate information.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Active Collection: Personal information may be collected in a number of ways when you visit our Site. We collect certain information you voluntarily provide to us, such as when you create an account, become a member, sign a pledge, make a donation, make a purchase, send us an email, fill out a form, provide or request information, or post blog comments or other content on the Site. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, user name, email, address, telephone number, other contact and demographic information, and credit card number. Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information in connection with creating a profile or group, leaving comments, posting content, sending an email or message to another user or participating in any interactive forums or features on the Site. In addition, from time to time we may collect demographic, contact or other personal information you provide in connection with your participation in surveys, sweepstakes, contests, games, promotional offers, and other activities on the Site.
Passive Collection: When you use the Site, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring web site, and your activity on the Site. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of "cookies" or web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Site and your experience. If we link cookies to any personally identifying information, we will treat this information as personal information. If you wish to block, erase, or be warned of cookies, please refer to your browser manufacturer to learn about these functions. However, if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or Services on our Site. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on the Site or in emails relating to the Site to collect certain information and monitor user activity on the Site.
HOW DO WE USE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
We use personal information collected through our Site for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the Site. For example, we may use personal information we collect:
- to provide the information, products, or services you request, and to process and complete any transactions in connection therewith;
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Site;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, requests, and complaints and provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Site and our users' experiences on the Site, such as providing information, content, ads or features that match their profiles or interests, and to increase the Site's functionality and user friendliness;
- to provide you with news and information about our or third party events, activities, offers, promotions, products, and services we think will be of interest to you;
- to send you notifications, confirmations, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Site;
- to notify you about important changes to our Site;
- to notify and contact contest and sweepstakes entrants; and
- for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
We may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE SHARE WITH THIRD PARTIES?
We will not share the personal information we collect from you through this Site with third parties, except as described in this Policy or on the Site. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers ("Service Providers") who are engaged by or working with us in connection with the operation of the Site or the services we provide and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- with other nonprofit organizations, groups or causes that we believe have similar viewpoints, goals, principles or objectives; when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- in an aggregated or anonymized form that does not directly identify you;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Students For Education Reform, our users, our employees, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect Students For Education Reform or our users from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful use of our Site;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of organization assets, financing or acquisition, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of Students For Education Reform.
In addition, you understand that when you use the Site, information you provide in your profile, comments, public or private groups, messages, postings, forums and other interactive areas of the Site, as well as any information you share through the Site (such as sharing your story) or share through social network sites, will be available to other users and in some cases may be publicly available. We recommend you be cautious about giving out personal information to others or sharing personal information in public or private online forums.
We are not responsible for the actions of Service Providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
WHAT STEPS DO WE TAKE TO PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION ONLINE?
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. You are responsible for all uses of our web site by any person using your password. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
WHAT CHOICES DO YOU HAVE REGARDING THE USE OF YOUR INFORMATION?
We give you many choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information. You may opt out from:
Receiving program or marketing-related emails from us: If you no longer want to receive program or marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may do so here.
Receiving program or marketing-related telephone calls from us. If you do not with so receive program or marketing-related telephone calls from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out of receiving program related telephone calls by contacting us using this form.
Our sharing of your Personal Information with affiliates for their marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we do not share your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with our affiliates for their marketing purposes, you may opt out of this sharing by contacting us using this form.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt out as described above, we will not be able to remove your Personal Information from the databases of our affiliates or unaffiliated third parties with which we have already shared your Personal Information (i.e., to which we have already provided your Personal Information as of the date that we implement your opt out request). Please also note that if you do opt out of receiving marketing-related messages from us, we may still send important administrative messages to you, and you cannot opt out from receiving administrative messages.
HOW YOU MAY ACCESS OR CHANGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you would like to review or update your Personal Information that has been previously provided to us, you may contact us using this form.
In your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. We are not responsible for changing information from the databases of third parties with whom we have already shared your Personal Information
USE OF SITE BY MINORS
The Site is not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen, and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Site.
The Site is controlled and operated by us from the United States and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.
Please note that email communications are not always secure, so please do not include sensitive information in your messages to us.